The fifth commandment of the Decalogue says:
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you”(Exodus 20:12)( NASB)
In the New Testament, in Paul’s Epistle to the Ephesians it is written:
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth. (Ephesians 6:1-3)( NASB)
- In marriage the command to honor your parents is not annulled. Yes, it is true that a man and woman, when they get married, will leave their parents and will no longer be in that dependence which they had before marriage, but they remain children who must honor their parents and to recompense their labors, as it is written:
“If any widow has children or grandchildren, they must first learn to practice piety in regard to their own family and to make some return to their parents; for this is acceptable in the sight of God.” (Timothy 5:4)(NASB)
- Help your partner to honor his parents properly. Without your consent he will not be able to do this. Do not become an obstacle and an occasion of bitterness, but help your husband or wife to do their duty as a child: to honor their parents and reward their efforts.
- Crises and shortages do not cancel the order. Do not say that you are going through hardships and because of this you cannot help your partner’s parents when they need it. Think of them as your parents and try to do good to them and help them.
- Your happiness depends on honoring your parents. If you prevent your marriage partner from honoring his parents and rewarding their hard work, you will not be able to be happy on your own, because your happiness depends on the happiness of your husband or wife.
- Life’s length is related to the way you honor your parents. If you prevent your husband or wife from honoring their parents, don’t expect long and happy days. Do not set your spouse against his or her parents.
- Don’t let your in-laws destroy your family. Unfortunately, there are also such mothers-in-law who have no knowledge of the Bible or fear of God and who seek to put spokes in the wheels of their children’s family. If this is your situation then be wise and do not allow parents or in-laws to do so. Behave wisely and without malice, but do not allow your family to be destroyed.
- If you are despised by your daughter-in-law or son-in-law… I addressed this article to them and it would be good for them to read it and remember what I taught them here. If, however, no change occurs do not let bitterness enter your heart, but find your joy and peace in the Lord Jesus Christ. Are you worried about old age and afraid of loneliness? It’s not worth it. Do good and do not worry but put all your trust in God, as it is written:
“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7)( NASB)
What will you do for your father-in-law or mother-in-law after reading this article? What will you do for your son-in-law or daughter-in-law?
Translated by Olya Trikolich