Do you know those 10 commandments? Very seldom I have met people who could tell me all of them very well. But how can you live your life according to them, if you don’t even know them?
Let me tell you them as we find them in the second book from the Bible, Exodus, chapter 20, verses 1 – 17:
- You shall have no other gods before Me.
- You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
- You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.
- Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. But the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.
- Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the LORD your God gives you.
- You shall not murder.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
The first four settle the relation of man with God and the last 6 reflect the relation with the neighbor, that are all people.
When He was asked by a teacher of the Law of the Old Testament, what the greatest commandment let by God is, the Savior, summed up all these 10 commandments into two ans answered to him:
And He said to him, ” ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:37–40)(NASB)
How do you fulfill those 10 commandments in your life? How is your love for God manifested? How is your love for your neighbor? What do you do for God and what do you do for your neighbor?
Translated by Felicia